Sunday, November 1, 2009

Who Watches Stand Up Anymore?

In the article we read for this post I was struck by the age of the piece. The article talked about comedians liek Andrew Dice Clay and Roseanne. I think that some of the stereotypes the article pointed out are a little outdated. Clay isn't nearly as popular and humor that slams women is certainly not the norm anymore. I always chalked of the uneven amount of female stand-ups to the general male centered society we live in. I think of it in the same manner as male chefs. In a home, cooking was always percieved as women's work but in a professional setting women are scare. I don't agree but with this agenda but after a while a person becomes used to the "norm." And this is how I assumed stand up was. I do agree that "feamle" humor if such a thing exists is less abrassive as soemone liek Andrew Dice Clay. But then plenty of people think Margaret Choo is abrassive as well.

Persoanlly I likle intellectual comedians like Eddie Izzard. Whether feamle or male, I enjoy stand up that engages my intellect as well as my funny bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment