Thursday, October 29, 2009

Gender issues and laughter

The article "Science of Laughter" states that biologically speaking women are the laughers and men are the comedians in order to attract women. Now while I admit that I like a man who makes me laugh, I'm not sure that I agree. I can think of plenty of times when the men in my life laugh without my joining in. But then I think this begs the question of "guy humor" vrs. "girl humor." I have often annoyed my girlfriends by agreeing with my guy friends. But when it comes to humor I am very resistant to what I call "guy humor" or what Kevin Smith calls "dick and fart jokes." I've seen all of his movies, but I never laugh at the easy jokes. I prefer the more intelligent insights and special references. Now my husband and brother laugh so hard at the easy stuff that they've been known to cry. Now this baffles me, because my husband is a professor and I tend to think that he should have a finer humor palate. But alas this is not the case so I tend to agree that there is a difference in what men and women find humorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment