Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ethics on the road

Sorry this post is coming up late. I'm still in Milwaukee, celebrating birthdays, but I'm taking time out to post. One of the questions we talked about last class, is the idea of responsibility. This is such a loaded idea. In a way it is linked to the concept of context, because joking in a small private controlled group is one thing. It's kind of like manners. You're more controlled and cautious in public setting than if you're at home. Personally I belch at home all the time, but I would never do it in public, if I could help it. The same is true of jokes. I'm not big on racial jobs but if I partake, it's usually at home in a controlled group. I know what to expect and I know I won't offend people, and vice versa. I do think that like manners in a public context you do have a responsibility to behave well.

Justus brought up an interesting point in class, about how we deal with offensive humor. I don't think that the government should be censoring people. However as a community I think we have a responsibility to speak out about truly offensive things. When the humor is a hate-motivated public call, something should be said. My journalism professor husband is really big about Free Speech. When he teaches it, he always explains that although you are Free to say things you still have a responsibility for what you say. I feel that for ever point there is counter point, and when as a society we see something we don't agree with we have a responsibility to speak out. For instance the Suicide Awareness group that spoke out about "The Office" had every right to present their argument. Whether you agree with them or not is not the point. They have the right, or responsibility to speak out on behalf of that population. Neo-Nazi groups who use hate derived humor to call their supporters should be spoken against. Otherwise you are encouraging it in a way. That old phrase, "if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem" is true. If you have convictions you should stand up for them. If you don't, then they aren't convictions. Healthy debate is a sign of a civilized society, apathy doesn't help anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment